[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: 1.2.0.GA transparent node failover does not always work

bander do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Mar 8 18:00:44 EST 2007

"timfox" wrote :
  | Looking at your code, I see you are creating the first dispatcher connection to node 0 and the first listener connection to node1.

My code is completely unaware of node 0 and node 1, but I know what you meant.

"timfox" wrote : The clustered connection factory will create subsequent connections on different nodes according to (by default) a round robin policy.

Ok - so that bit is a configuration issue. Fair enough.

"timfox" wrote : Also bear in mind, that a topolgy where you have just one producer on one node and a single consumer on a different node like your test case is probably not much of a real world scenario, (why would you want to deploy you application this way?), although we should of course cope with this (and we do).

My test case does not know about the different nodes - it has simply requested multiple connections from the connection factory. It sounds like I'm not using the correct JBoss configuration for my test case. In the scenario where the messaging client had connected consumers to one node and producers to another node we would want JBoss Messaging to ensure the messages on the queues were distributed to the nodes with active consumers.

"timfox" wrote : I have successfully run your testcase and I am seeing expected behaviour so far. I have killed alternating servers many times and I am seeing failover occurring fine. We also have a test that runs as part of the cruisecontrol run that does this and it seems to be working.

Ok - this is the more critical issue for us. I can break it consistently and within a very short time. For our testing we're using WinXP and JVM 1.4.2-b28. Which JVM are you using? Have you changed any of the configuration defaults?

"timfox" wrote : Can you give me any more details as to what errors you are seeing?

Ok - I'll capture the log output next time and post it.

"timfox" wrote : In order for the client to successfully send/receive messages you need at least one node in the cluster to be operational.
  | If you shutdown all the nodes in the cluster then clearly nothing is going to work, the client needs to talk to a server.

Obviously. I what I meant was that after shutting both nodes down for a period and then restarting one the test case should reconnect and start dispatching/receiving again. Shutting down both servers seemed to cause problems in the client i.e. it failed to detect that one of the nodes had been restarted.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4026455#4026455

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4026455