[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam Tools, Project Structures, and IDEs

tony.herstell@gmail.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Mar 20 17:57:00 EDT 2007

I work in MyEclipse (as I found eclipse sucked!) and didn't really know of any others at the time.

I started the personal IceFaces enabled project before the SeamGen was as good as it is now; but I really don't like having a build/deploy step so try to avoid Ant scripts (which is bad I suppose) :( also this is a problem as all the examples are ant based and configured in an odd way for moving into a "normal" project structure.

I use exploded deployment (as MyEclipse does it very well) and with the moves in Seam (see Michael Yuans blog) to get hotdeploy working better, it will need a server re-start less often.

I never run an ant script (I have included an awful one for people that needed to run ant build on the project) during the code/try cycle.

I have three ( J2EE ;) ) projects in MyEclipse
xxxx_ear
xxxx_jar
xxxx_war

The ear references the jar and war modules.

The jars needed in the JAR and WAR that are in the EAR reference them (import jar from workspace) (never have two of same jars in the projects).

Disable MyEclispe from "helping" with application.xml as it gets it wrong (properties on the ear and check to box to tell MyEclipse NOT to manage the application.xml)

Which file went where was discovered by hacking apart a generated .ear from an example!!! so anyone could actually do it!

Anyhow, thats it..

Run Jboss from inside the IDE (one click and no attaching to some Server somewhere!).
Debug directly inside the IDE.
xhtml changes don't require a restart, some code changes do but MyEclipse tells you to do it... and you click the button! - Easy!

MyEclipse are soon to put in Exploded deployments that can pick and choose files (i.e. A test suite of jars for one deploy etc... so that really will make a difference as you can pick.choose files for each deployment [Test, Development, Live etc.]).

I have had a LOT of issues along the way (IceFaces mainly) and they are sorting them out quite quickly now... even getting changes put into Facelets to support their model better!

Since I had to learn, and am still learning, Facelets, EJB3, JSF, Seam, Transactions, IceFaces, etc. etc. etc. it's not that great pretty project...  In fact it's organized quite differently to the seam examples but more logical for simple old ME!

But... Send me an email and I can send the whole darn project to you to play with... fix and defects then I would liek to hear about it :)

One day I might ask if it can be added to the wiki here but thats scary!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4030019#4030019

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4030019