[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & Deployment] - JBoss 4.0.4 using UnifiedClassLoader despite config

Steveco do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 30 14:25:08 EDT 2007

We're using JBoss 4.0.4 on Linux and OSX.  We have it configured to not use the UnifiedClassLoader, but it still does for some of our classes.  My immediate problem is that I'm catching an EJBException in my web app, and I want to get the exception contained in the EJBException and cast it to one of our custom exceptions so I get to the extra data in the custom exception.  However the EJBException and the exception it contains are loaded by the UnifiedClassLoader and the web app code is loaded by the WebappClassLoader, so I get a ClassCastException when I try it.

Our ear file contains a jboss-app.xml, which contains this:
<jboss-app>
  |   <loader-repository>
  |     com.shopzilla:loader=shoppingcart.ear
  |     <loader-repository-config>java2ParentDelegation=false</loader-repository-config>
  | </loader-repository>
  | </jboss-app>

Our war file contains a jboss-web.xml, which contains this:
<jboss-web>
  |   <class-loading java2ClassLoadingCompliance="false">
  |     <loader-repository>
  |       com.shopzilla:loader=samples.war
  |       <loader-repository-config>
  |         java2ParentDelegation=false
  |       </loader-repository-config>
  |     </loader-repository>
  |   </class-loading>
  | </jboss-web>

I deployed those files and restarted JBoss to make sure they took effect.  Now when I go to the JMX Console I see the loaders:
com.shopzilla
  |     * loader=samples.war
  |     * loader=shoppingcart.ear
but I still get the ClassCastException.

I tried changing my ear-deployer.xml to this:
<server>
  |    <!-- EAR deployer, remove if you are not using ear deployments -->
  |    <mbean code="org.jboss.deployment.EARDeployer"
  |       name="jboss.j2ee:service=EARDeployer">
  |       <!-- A flag indicating if ear deployments should have their own scoped
  |       class loader to isolate their classes from other deployments.
  |       -->
  |       <attribute name="Isolated">true</attribute>
  |       <!-- A flag indicating if the ear components should have in VM call
  |       optimization disabled.
  |       -->
  |       <attribute name="CallByValue">true</attribute>
  |    </mbean>
  | </server>
and restarting JBoss, but that didn't help either.

I added some println()s to see the classloaders.
System.out.println("ee.getCausedByException().getClass().getClassLoader(): " + ee.getCausedByException().getClass().getClassLoader());
produces
09:29:04,822 INFO  [STDOUT] ee.getCausedByException().getClass().getClassLoader(): org.jboss.mx.loading.UnifiedClassLoader3 at 1f5205c{ url=file:/home/scorwin/apps/jboss-4.0.4.GA/server/shoppingcart/tmp/deploy/tmp38558shoppingcart.ear ,addedOrder=42}
ee is an EJBException, so that's why I think that it's being loaded by the UnifiedClassLoader.
If I create an instance of my custom exception named uaeeFoo,
UsernameAlreadyExistsException uaeeFoo = new UsernameAlreadyExistsException("fubar");
  | System.out.println("uaeeFoo.getClass().getClassLoader(): " + uaeeFoo.getClass().getClassLoader());
produces
09:29:04,823 INFO  [STDOUT] uaeeFoo.getClass().getClassLoader(): WebappClassLoader
  |   delegate: false
  |   repositories:
  |     /WEB-INF/classes/
  |   ----------> Parent Classloader:
  |   java.net.FactoryURLClassLoader at d5f9b9

Is there some setting I missed that would cause it to ignore my other settings and keep using the UnifiedClassLoader?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4033320#4033320

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4033320