[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Seam and Adobe Flex

DavidInTx do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 30 19:19:42 EDT 2007

The primary reason we're waiting on web services instead of remoting is that prior to Flash 8, communicating from within a flash object out to some javascript on the containing page a return value was rather difficult.  Seam Remoting relies on the fact that you can communicate with and get a value back from remote.js (a javascript file provided by Seam that you include in your pages).  With Flash 8, there is now an ExternalInterface command which lets you do whatever communication you want.  As you can see here , going from flash to javascript prior to ExternalInterface relied on getURL or fscommand.  As you can see here and here neither of those methods actually returns a value.

If you can rely on flash 8 being installed, then it doesn't make much difference.  Here's how you would do it via remoting

Remoting:

  |  var customers =  EnternalInterface.call(Seam.Component.getInstance("customerAction").getAllCustomers());

and here's what you would do for Web Services:

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4033390#4033390

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4033390