[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Is seam-gen really a good idea to learn about seam?

fperedo do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 3 13:04:10 EDT 2007

Hi!
I mean, I love having a tool that generates everything...
but it seems to me that has made the documentation a lot poorer:
Its so easy to start building an applications, so why bother with an step by step guide, from only POJOs and Tomcat to J2EE with JBoss to J2EE with any container you like, that really explains the differences between:
-Limitations for in Seam with only POJOs  (what can not be done)
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat without the jboss microcontainer
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat with the jboss microcontainer in tomcat
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat with the jboss microcontainer in other
container with the same level functionality as tomcat
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat with jboss (none I guess?)
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat with glassfish
-Limitations for Seam with Tomcat with other somewhat EJB3 complaint containers (like oc4j)

And finally:
-Limitations for Seam without generation (why is generation so useful with seam? was it written to make it a lot easier to work with a generator? (because let me tell you I have tried to use it without the generator and failed... I think it is pretty hard)

A nice way to present it would be:

-How to use seam in eclipse without know anything about "ant" or using seam-gen
-How to use seam in netbeans without know anything about "ant" or seam-gen

What do you think? have you had the same problems.

(Just to clarify, a think Seam is a really good framework, and I really would like to use it for lots of my future projects, but right now, I am finding it really really hard, because there is no way to build a really simple introductory example, and build more complex things from there, I feel that seam-gen is good for experts, not not for "becoming an expert")

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4042914#4042914

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4042914