[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: While Seam is great, is any weakness of this framework?

petemuir do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 3 13:06:29 EDT 2007

"fperedo" wrote : -It is (IMHO) hard to use it without JBoss (just try OC4J for example)

We could certainly help you guys out by having an up to date list of what servers we've tested Seam on, and which we haven't.  AFAIK (but this really isn't my area) OC4J isn't one of them - I think they are JBoss, Tomcat, Glassfish, Websphere and Weblogic.  If you raise a JIRA issue we can get the docs updated :)

anonymous wrote : -The limit of "what can be done with seam using a fully compliant J2EE5, and what can't be done" are not clear (clear limitations, clear drawbacks)

We've tried to indicate when something needs EE5 in the manual - do you have specific cases?

anonymous wrote : -Using seam without using seam-gen, is hard, and IMHO very undocumented (no good step by step tutorial going form very simple POJO stuff to J2EE5 integration without the help of seam-gen).
  | -And finally, not directly related, but all examples included in seam distribution share the same huge ant file, so it is really hard for a newbie in both ant and seam to understand how examples are deployed, and how to customize them to learn basic stuff.

There is a reason we have seam-gen - packaging Seam apps is *very* complicated (so many of the questions on the forum relate to it) and seam-gen takes the pain out of it for you!  If nothing else, run seam-gen, build a skeleton app, and that as your template for packaging your app - but I would strongly recommend seam-gen!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4042915#4042915

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4042915