[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - Map multiple rows to one object?

texan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri May 4 15:48:57 EDT 2007

I'm using EJB3 persistence under JBoss 5.0.5.  (But I think this is a hibernate question)

With the table structure below, I want to create a UserPreference class with a relationship to User and Preference, and a collection of String values.  Note that (user_id,preference_id) is not unique in the value table, as users can have multiple values for some preferences.

I want the User to have a collection of UserPreference objects, one for each preference_id, rather than one for each unique record in the user_pref_value table.

That is, I'd like to map the UserPreference class to the user_pref_value table where user_id and preference_id are unique and it contains a String collection of values.

Any ideas?

Tables:

user
  id (pk)