[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - EntityManagerFactory creation failure EJB 2.1 - EJB 3.0

rkite01 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue May 8 10:55:50 EDT 2007

  I have a sample application I am using to learn EJB 3.0.  I am having a problem accessing EJB 3.0 beans from an EJB 2.1 session bean.  I can not get an EntityManagerFactory.  I need an EntityManager to perform an EJB 3.0 finder from the 2.1 Session bean.  I am using JBoss 4.2 CR2.  Using EJB 3.0 session and entity Beans together is not a problem.  What else needs to be done?

Here is the error I am getting from the EntityManagerFactory creation line.

10:52:50,799 INFO  [SettingsFactory] Default entity-mode: pojo
10:52:50,799 INFO  [SettingsFactory] Named query checking : enabled
10:52:50,799 INFO  [SessionFactoryImpl] building session factory
10:52:50,815 INFO  [SessionFactoryObjectFactory] Not binding factory to JNDI, no
 JNDI name configured
10:52:50,815 ERROR [LogInterceptor] RuntimeException in method: public abstract
java.util.TreeSet com.ejb.UserManager.retrieveMessages(java.lang.String) throws
java.lang.Exception,java.rmi.RemoteException:
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.HibernateException: The ch
osen transaction strategy requires access to the JTA TransactionManager
        at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.buildEntityManagerFactory(Ejb3Con
figuration.java:720)

  // Example of getting EJB 3.0 beans from EJB 2.1 Session Bean.
  public List findPosts(String userLogin) throws Exception
  {
    HashMap map = new HashMap();
    InitialContext initialContext = new InitialContext();
    EntityManagerFactory entityManagerFactory = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("imEjb30", map);
    EntityManager entityManager = entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();
    entityManagerFactory.close();

    Query query = entityManager.createNamedQuery("findPosts");
    query.setParameter(0, userLogin);
    List list = query.setMaxResults(10).setFirstResult(0).getResultList();

    return(list);
  }