[jboss-user] [Testimonials] - Opensource Mobile Middleware

smita_narain do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon May 14 18:34:22 EDT 2007

Just wanted to share this with the community.

In light of appforge dropping the ball on us, I was looking for some open source alternatives for mobile middleware. We could not afford iAnywhere and IBM type solutions, which are too expensive and I am tired of small companies going belly up. We were looking for open source because if the software is open source, at least we have full access to the code and can maintain it ourselves in case of the company going out of business.

I found 2 credible open source options - funambol and itanyplace. I checked out funambol. It has a good syncml stack but it takes a lot of coding effort to integrate with enterprise apps and it does not support browser based access. It also has more of a PIM-Email focus.

Then I tried itanyplace. The stuff is really easy. It is device independent and supports both browser based and offline scenarios. The tooling generated the sample app in no time. It seems they are also coming out with push based technology as well.

I would highly recommend ITAnyPlace and would ask fellow users to give it a shot if you have the similar need.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4045608#4045608

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4045608