[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - Updating cached data on Swing clients -- push, poll, or JMS?

smithmb do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed May 30 15:39:46 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

I wasn't sure which forum area was the best for this question. While I don't consider myself a JBoss beginner, I was originally introduced to J2EE to solve some specific problems. After solving them, I find myself being in charge of a rather large-ish project, and I'm missing a few nuts and bolts (I think?).

Mostly, I can't seem to figure out if there's a standard for how to send data to clients, cache it there, and send updates back, while keeping caches up to date. Cache probably isn't the right word for what I'm doing, as I don't mean it in the Container/Session Bean sense that I think JBoss Cache does.

I have a bunch of EJBs in a deployment, and some store data objects, like Employees, who have attributes like first name, last name, etc. One "employee manager" EJB can update/add/remove employees.

I also have a Swing client that, upon startup, grabs a list of employees from the "employee manager" and then never asks for any updated data. When it updates an employee's attributes, it calls back into the employee manager, at which point conflicts in what is most recent can occur.

How do I keep the data in sync? I think my options are:

1) Polling via a session bean
2) Version control in a session bean
3) JMS for push / pull / both of data objects

Is there a standard practice?

Your answers are appreciated!!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4049881#4049881

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4049881