[jboss-user] [JBoss/Spring Integration] - Spring Tutorial problem

louberl do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu May 31 04:52:50 EDT 2007

To give this problem better visibility I have also posted this problem in the beginners corner forum.

While going through the Jboss Seam examples as a tutorial/learning exercise, I encountered a problem with only the Seam-Spring tutorial example.

The Seam-Spring example generates a java.lang.NullPointerException error.

2007-05-29 16:56:43,534 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/seam
  | -spring]] Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamListener
  | org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Unexpected exception parsing XML doc
  | ument from ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
  | Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
  | 	at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.decorateIfRequired(BeanDefinitionParserDelegate.java:1142)

Based on what I have read in the Jboss forums, I think I have a ClassLoader problem. But I do not know why? (as this is a stock tutorial example)

The following software versions are installed on my computer.
Jboss AS=4.0.5-r2
Spring =2.0.3
Jboss Seam=1.2.1 GA

While disecting the problem, I reduced the Spring configuration file applicationContext.xml to the bare minimum while preserving the same generated error. (All other files in the tutorial are untouched)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  | <beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
  |        xmlns:aop="http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop"
  |        xmlns:util="http://www.springframework.org/schema/util"
  |        xmlns:seam="http://jboss.com/products/seam/spring-seam"
  |        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  |        xmlns:tx="http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx"
  |        xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans
  | -2.0.xsd
  |               http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop/spring-aop-2.0.xsd
  |               http://www.springframework.org/schema/util http://www.springframework.org/schema/util/spring-util-2.0.xsd
  |               http://jboss.com/products/seam/spring-seam http://jboss.com/products/seam/spring-seam-1.2.xsd
  |               http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx http://www.springframework.org/schema/tx/spring-tx-2.0.xsd"
  |        default-lazy-init="true">
  |
  |     <bean id="userService" class="org.jboss.seam.example.spring.UserService">
  |         <property name="entityManager" ref="em"/>
  |         <seam:component />
  |     </bean>
  |
  |     <seam:instance name="entityManager" id="em" proxy="true"/>
  | </beans>
What can I do to make Spring register, the userService bean as a component with Seam/SeamListener ?

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4050030#4050030

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4050030