[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Claim: Seam is not for large Java EE applications

stuart_wildcat do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Nov 3 19:16:24 EDT 2007

Although this is not Seam-specific, I think one of the points brought up points to an issue with annotations in general:

The presence of annotations spreads out information in more places in an application.

I think this is what was meant by "tough to use for large applications" because with many people working on an application it is more likely that an individual developer will have never seen annotations in parts of the application and divergent coding practices, etc can take place.

Obviously standards and documentation can help a Seam application with this just like any other type of application.

Again, although not specific to Seam, I think one thing the Java community will have to begin dealing with is what is an appropriate (and inappropriate) use of annotations in an application.  Information in XML files may still be appropriate for anything server-specific or application-wide settings.

This type of "best practice" simply doesn't exist right now because we have not had this type of problem to deal with.  As more and more developers begin to work on large applications that use annotations we will need to deal with this.

Having some Seam-specific information on things like this will certainly be welcome.  I look forward to working with Seam in larger applications because I think it is a great framework.  The fact that it will become a standard in the form of WebBeans means this will quickly become something that are not Seam-specific best practices.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4101551#4101551

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4101551