[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: JBoss Tools Documentation

bdlink do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Nov 9 18:37:00 EST 2007

After reading from Max (above) that we are to use Dali for persistence with JBoss tools, I tried using JPA with todays Jboss tools nightly build, after creating a seam-web project (with Seam 2).  As near as I can figure, JPA only works in a JPA project.  It does not appear to work with a Seam project with JPA aspect added (in the JPA structure window the message "Structure is not available for the current selection" when selecting a class which is to be bound to a database table). The Dali tutorial works but requires a JPA project.

The last messages sound like we should be using hibernate directly for generating Entities from DB tables.

Using a seam entity does not seem to do anything useful, because the associated pages get out of synch when you edit the entity properties.  Perhaps more useful would be generating the other artifacts (Home, List, and pages) after the Entity has been generated.

Using seam-gen does not seem to work well, because it is all database tables or nothing, and gets the relationships wrong (not enough info in database schema to determine correct multiplicities and direction).  After correcting the Entities you have to track down corrections in the other artifacts, since refactoring does not know about the dependencies.

I noticed that the example JBoss tools documentation does not yet get past the front end to generating the entities.

I am assuming/hoping that my confusion is simply due to a lack of documentation which will eventually be answered (or perhaps features which are not there but will be for GA), but I am still trying to figure the best way to do a simple application with a database that has multiple tables, with relationships.  I am trying to use JSF/Facelets/RichFaces/Seam2/EJB3/JAS4.2.2.

Pointers to an end-to-end project would be useful (something more than a one-table CRUD example).  If seam is the main focus of JBoss tools/RHDS, perhaps the examples in the Seam tutorial could be redone using these tools.

When JBoss Tools/RHDS really gets it together, it looks like it will be preferable to the NetBeans model which has the same architectural constraints that Sun Studio Creator had (each page has a backing bean that everything gets dumped into, etc.)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4103385#4103385

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4103385