[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - seam-gen is not a solution worth trying for existing EJB3 pr

mortena do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Nov 10 04:50:07 EST 2007

Hi Seam folks

I've tried getting a proper start using seam by using seam-gen. The basis of the project is a running EJB3 application with a JSP based web-interface.

Based on a number of searches on the web I concluded that seam-gen should be able to generate the CRUD based WEB-UI in seconds based on the existing EJB3 application.

It is not! And I recommend none to use that tool!

seam-gen reverse engineers directly from the database not the EJB3's already created and it does it in a rather dumb manner! ?

All the information regarding the relationships (OneToOne, ManyToOne and ManyToMany) between the entities are totally lost when the view is generated from database instead of directly from the EJB's.

The reason for this is probably that it was possible to use hibernate Tools as a basis for seam-gen and that the developers needed something up and running fast...

Why is there not a tool in the seam-gen pack, that makes it possible to generate a CRUD view with proper support for dates, relationsships etc. directly from EJB3 entities?

This would make it possible to create the entities, set the relationships between them and have a seam-application up and running based on that in no time.

Instead we're stuck with a tool that does some of the basic stuff in a seam-application like inserting strings into entities using a textinput but not the stuff like creating a drop-down with objects to select the "One" side in  a ManyToOne relationsship.

Please comment on the following:

 - How can I go from an existing EJB3 application with a JSP based ui to a seam application?
 - How can I support refactoring in such an application?
 - How can I support an iterative implementation in such an environment?
 - What are the plans with seam-gen?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4103407#4103407

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4103407