[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: seam-gen is not a solution worth trying for existing EJB

mortena do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Nov 10 06:00:56 EST 2007

Hi Max

Sorry about the tone. I wasn't meant to be rude. I've just been fighting with these thing for a while now without much luck.

My frustrations is actually more a result of a lack of help and documentation regarding these matters. (Like why do I have to use something found in a jira containing a few attachments but no intro).

It seams like the sources of information is spread into too many places:
 - This forum
 - Michael Yuan's blog
 - Hibernate Tools' website
 - in.relation.to
 - various articles and blogs online
 - Some slideshows presented at various conferences etc.

Why not set up a wiki / confluence or something similar where users can contribute to a gathered documentation.

1) If you want specific features in the generated code then please contribute it - its just a matter of adding/fixing the templates.

I would gladly do that but how do I start when I can't figure out what the status of the various projects / subprojects are?

2) seam-gen as it is in the ant scripts is just done via reverse engineering but hibenate tools supports using existing entities just fine and there are even a jira for it to be applied - someone just need to pick that up and get it applied properly. It's described at http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBSEAM-843 and even with a patch you can easily try out if you want.

I've seen the Jira, but it is not very well documented or described. I've tried downloading the build-jpa.xml and adding a generate-ui target in the build.xml file, but it gives me some errors like: "view/extension not found." How to use the .patch files I don't know.

3) Just to prove it works - then In JBoss Tools you have two options when you choose seam generate entities you have the option of selecting Reverse Engineer from database OR Use exiting entities.

That is great. I'll give it another shot. Starting from JBoss Tools I think...

Please let me know if there's anything I can contribute with making seam the success it should be.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4103412#4103412

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4103412