[jboss-user] [JBoss OSGi] - Re: OSGi features

trouby do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 13 17:37:55 EST 2007

Hey,

As I see the last replies to this post are only month ago so I guess things are in progress now :-)

I think OSGI implementation is very important, Geronimo, Jonas/WS/etc.. are already there so it'll be great having it in Jboss too!

I have some points which I think could be real helpful:

- Integration with EJB/seam, activating a bundle with EJB/seam components easily.
- Extensible components, I think JavaEE is really lacking here, it is very hard to build today a platform where external bundles can modify your app layers(core/services/gui/etc), as JavaEE packaging is really strict (all the descriptors, packing structure/etc...),

I'm not sure the second point is apart of the spec, but it could be real great,

Nuxeo(OSS ECM) took this step forward, they had to deploy their application on Eclipse server and Jboss as well, so they have their own OSGI implementation with Jboss adpater which hook Jboss j2ee/javaee behaviors with the OSGI model

You guys better take a look, they also have component extensibility where each component can declare extension-points and can contribute to other components (but yet again, I'm really not sure this is a part of the OSGI spec),

http://www.nuxeo.org/sections/projects/runtime/
It is also LGPL and I think it is well written..

Well, I'd also like to see your plans and help with testing and maybe some coding here and there :)

Cheers,

Asaf.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4104335#4104335

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4104335