[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - MultipartFilter - exception redirect missed when maxsize exc

nwray do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Oct 4 15:14:20 EDT 2007

Hi, I'm using the file upload tag s:fileUpload and org.jboss.seam.web.MultipartFilter in a seam 2.0.0CR1 project.  I have a maxRequestSize configured in components.xml:

  |     <component class="org.jboss.seam.web.MultipartFilter">
  |       <property name="createTempFiles">false</property>
  |       <property name="maxRequestSize">41943040</property>
  |     </component>

 and in pages.xml I have the following:

    <exception class="org.jboss.seam.web.FileUploadException">
  |         <redirect view-id="/main.xhtml">
  |             <message severity="error">File upload failed, probably because the file is too large</message>
  |         </redirect>
  |     </exception>

When I upload a file larger than the max size, I see a debug page with the following stack trace:

  | 2007-09-28 10:24:40,703 ERROR [org.jboss.seam.web.ExceptionFilter] handling uncaught exception
  | org.jboss.seam.web.FileUploadException: Multipart request is larger than allowed size
  | at org.jboss.seam.web.MultipartRequest.<init>(MultipartRequest.java:280)
  | at org.jboss.seam.web.MultipartFilter.doFilter(MultipartFilter.java:80)
  | at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:69)
  | [...]
  | 2007-09-28 10:24:40,703 ERROR [org.jboss.seam.web.ExceptionFilter] exception root cause
  | 2007-09-28 10:24:40,718 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/set].[Faces Servlet]] Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
  | java.lang.NullPointerException
  | at org.jboss.seam.web.ExceptionFilter.endWebRequestAfterException(ExceptionFilter.java:93)
  | at org.jboss.seam.web.ExceptionFilter.doFilter(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
  | at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamFilter$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(SeamFilter.java:69)
  | at org.jboss.seam.web.RedirectFilter.doFilter(RedirectFilter.java:44)

rather than seeing main.seam with the expected message, as configured in pages.xml.  Following the stack trace back it seems that ExceptionFilter at line 93 assumes a Manager will be found in the request.  When the Manager comes back null we get the NPE.  I created a patch I'm using locally that handles the missing Manager, attached to Jira 1995:

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBSEAM-1995

Am I seeing this due to some underlying misconfiguration on my side or is this a bug?  I created the Jira last week but no feedback as of yet.

thanks
Nathan

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4091706#4091706

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4091706