[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Messages are moved to expiry queue only when there is a

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Oct 5 05:43:15 EDT 2007

"julians37" wrote :
  | Does this makes sense or would you consider this to be an abuse of the expiry feature? Do you see a way of implementing this in another way, maybe using temporary topics and a DLQ? (Right now I'm not using temporary topics for responses - instead I use a global response queue with a selector on the JMS_CorrelationID.) Unfortunately there's no way of selecting messages by age or that would be another way of handling this.

The only guarantee a JMS compliant messaging system has to make with regard to message expiry is to ensure that you don't ever receive a message after the expiry time, if the expiry time has been specified.

JBM is fully compliant in that regard.

Anything to do with expiry queues etc, is beyond the scope of the spec.

In other words there's no guarantee that a particular JMS provider actually moves the message to the expiry queue actually at, or near to the desired expiry time.

You'll probably find that different providers do this in different ways, so designing your application to rely on this is probably a bad move.

In future versions of JBM we will probably implement some kind of expiry reaper thread that trawls the queues for expired messages and puts them on the expiry queue (if it is specified), but even with this the exact time they will get to the expiry queue is not really reliable, subject to how often the thread is scheduled to run, number of messages etc.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4091910#4091910

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4091910