[jboss-user] [Management, JMX/JBoss] - Re: JBoss SNMP for sending Get requests

dpocock do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 9 05:57:39 EDT 2007

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was thinking that a JCA resource adapter might be a better solution - would you agree?

However, despite searching online, I haven't found any examples of how JCA should be used to access SNMP services.  I've put together some notes on how I would implement this, but maybe someone else has some better suggestions?

Each `Connection' would correspond to a locally initiated SnmpSession to a remote agent.

The SNMP tree could be modelled as a database (using the ResultSet model of JCA), or we could just use the joeSNMP API, but with everything passed through the Connection object.

The resource adapter is permitted to start threads (although the spec recommends using WorkManager) - joeSNMP could probably be further hacked to delegate thread creation to WorkManager.

The final issue is the callbacks - the Get requests could be sent synchronously, so the application would have to block, or the responses could be sent by JMS.  Blocking isn't such a bad idea - the calling application should use a Work object for lengthy tasks, such as walking the whole tree.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4092927#4092927

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4092927