[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Random conversation id's

swd847 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 15 08:18:45 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote :
  | Ahem, conversation IDs are _already_ globally unique because by definition, they are combined with the unique session ID. There is no way you can "step back into conversation 5" from a bookmark with a reasonably short session timeout.

I have two use cases where this can happen:

1) A user bookmarks a page with the cid=2. They come back to your site later without using the bookmark, and while using it decide that they want to access the bookmarked page, but as cid=2 is already in use they will be redirected somewhere unexpected.

2) A user has mutliple windows open and then leaves your site until session timeout, when they come back they log in in one of the windows and continue working. They then try and use one of their pre-existing windows, and get redirected to an unexpected place because the cid was re-used while they continued to work.

2 is the reason why I wanted this, I know it is not a biggie, but it is confusing to the user, and whenever my users are confused the first thing they do is ring me, especially as my app encorages the use of multile windows (actually iframes, but the same principle applies). It seems to work ok, I have not noticed anything broken.

Stuart

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4095210#4095210

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4095210