[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Creating a secure development environment

MMirabito do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Oct 16 17:59:25 EDT 2007

My apologies if I am putting this in the wrong category but I am not sure how to classify it.

We have been developing in Java for a while. Our development environment involves installing Eclipse and Jboss on a local development machine then connecting to a SQL server remotely.

A week ago we were notified by security that we are in violation of desktop software. Apparently security decided that running Jboss (server software) on desktop constitutes an undue risk.

Frankly I was dumbfounded when I heard that, I tried to explain to the security team how a developer needs a sand box to do his/her development but obviously I was shut down. Of course when I asked if they had an alternative they were quick to point out NO.
One person mentioned using a VMware farm, developers can connect to an instance preconfigured with Jboss and do their work.

I am wondering if any of you can give me pointers/ammunitions or a case for or against this direction?

I am really interested to know how other enterprises are doing their development and what are the best practices that will placate the ?SWAT Team??

If  VMware  is the way to go what will performance be like?
Do I need to load all my development tools (i.e. Eclipse) or can eclipse connect to a remote Jboss instance as it was local to the box?
What is another alternative?

I am aware that virtualization is hitting the data centers and there are talks of deploying dumb-like terminal but is this really feasible for developer workstations

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Max

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4095814#4095814

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4095814