[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Feedback wanted. Would you choose JB Portal again?

wheezer do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Oct 27 13:00:05 EDT 2007

All true.

I suppose though, in my head, I am thinking about why it is that so many open source modules get built in the non-java, non-jsr168 communities. Naturally, the universe of developers is much smaller here, and their professional demands greater, but still, it seems there should be more interest.  I mean hell, it's not just open source portlets I am interested in. I'd happily pay reasonable prices for useful portlets. I just don't see any around--at all. SyncEx advertises all over the place, and I can't get a demo out of them.  I'm not expecting much, when I do.

If Jboss had a vibrant marketplace for portlets, I can't imagine independent coders and developers not seeing a relatively easy path to some real revenue without all that much work.  I wouldn't even care how generic they were. I'd bet there's a large market of enterprises and vendors who wouldn't either.  Sure, generic configurations are nice, but ANYTHING pre-built can be a huge jump-start over building from scratch.

Incidentally, we do plan on probably running the Liferay portlets in Jboss.  Still just getting our bearings.

Thanks again for all the feedback. This has been very helpful. (Hope others feel free to toss in some cents :)

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4099602#4099602

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4099602