[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] - USERS and ROLES - why in seperate tables?

konstandinos do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 29 18:21:36 EDT 2007

Hi

With users.properties and roles.properties:

It makes sense to have username=password in the former, and username=Role1,Role2,...,RoleN in the latter, because Java's property lookup mechanism works like that.

ie: we cannot have username=password=Role1,Role2,...,RoleN

But now with regards to DatabaseServerLoginModule - why do we need two separate tables, one for USERS and one for ROLES? That's what the wiki / docs recommend and I don't understand why.

I'm repeating usernames in both tables and there is no clear reason for the tables to be separate. I could just as easily have a single table with fields for USERNAME, PASSWORD and ROLES all in one table.

Am I overlooking something? Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4100026#4100026

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4100026