[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Writing SeamTests with Seam 2.0.0. CR2 - What's Changed?

bsmithjj do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Oct 31 13:28:22 EDT 2007

WEB-INF/components.xml?  no - I'm trying to boot the embedded jboss ONLY from an ejb module that's part of a larger ear project.  This all worked nicely in Seam 1.2.1.  I say that because (as you probably know quite well by now ;-)) that I am immensely frustrated at things like <core:ejb> disappearing.  I can't understand why you wouldn't think about supporting that IN ADDITION TO whatever new form of the JBoss container you want people to be able to boot and test with.  As it stands now, in order to migrate our development process from Seam 1.2.1 to Seam 2.0.0, I have to figure out how to get a working jboss embedded (in addition to other things).  Although traditionally, the focus of a framework evolution is to fix problems in the current version of the framework and add in new features, this current 'style of evolution' I see in Seam is one in which I am forced to move all dimensions of my development work forward simultaneously.

On the subject of maven and transitive dependencies, please do not deploy the Seam 2.0 releases to your public repository with poms that contain transitive dependencies - that's already tripped me up once because Seam 2.0.0.CR3 transitively stuck el-api.jar into my war and that already existed in the server.  Transitive dependencies buy you nothing when they cause unexpected problems that take longer to fix (due to the surprise nature) than simply adding the dependencies you know you need due to good documentation.  Knowing version dependencies (to me) is a good thing.  Hiding versions and/or dependencies is bad.

BTW, Pete, I appreciate your discussions / interactions and patience with me ;-).  In all my rants on the forum here, my frustrations tend to stem from no smooth transition being available for Seam 1.2.1 -> Seam 2.0.0 (on the issues I've posted about).  I believe Seam could be a little kinder to its early adopters than it has been.  Instead, I have several areas now where I need to 'start from scratch' (e.g. <core:ejb/> gone but actually worked fine ... hence this particular thread).

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4100794#4100794

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4100794