[jboss-user] [EJB 3.0] - Re: Simplest possible stateless bean

Renen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 19 15:22:05 EDT 2007

anonymous wrote : Maybe there is an alternative that's missing.

I must say, I found myself asking that. We use application servers because we always have. And, it used to be neccesary. I'm not sure it still is.

;-) But I suppose one shouldn't get too philosophical.

We have a straight forward scenerio where we host two or three web sites, running against a common database. We use EJBs to manage database access, support the creation of the web pages and the rendering of data. And, we rely on MDBs, JSPs and JSP Tags.

We serve about 100 000 pages per day.

So, that's the broad context. More specifically, I would like to take advantage of some of the Java 1.5 constructs (specifically, varargs), and would also like to move with the times. So, I would like start porting our existing J2EE EJBs to EJB3.

POJOs have a lot of appeal in that they are simple to implement, easy to test etc etc. But, they never used to be managed in the same way that application server code was. But, I think that might have changed. Certainly, Tomcat must deal with them very effectively.

So, should we simply abandon EJBs all together? Feels a bit dramatic.

;-)

anonymous wrote : How would you like to reference your bean from a client (or servlet)?

The EJBs are accessed from JSP pages, tag libraries, MDBs and from other EJBs (all of which are stateless session beans). All these objects exist within JARs or WARs inside a single ear running on a seperate JBOSS instance.

Once implemented, the EJBs won't change very fast. Although we do add MDBs at a steady rate.

anonymous wrote : Again a JNDI name needs to be unique. And what if you had multiple bussiness interfaces, should we 'polute' JNDI by binding them all?

I'll hear that. Although, after mulling it over for bit, does it make any difference if JNDI is overpopulated? Are those performance concerns material against the singificantly increased levels of complexity?

THis topic has meandered quite far. I have learnt quite a bit and the replies have made me think. Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4086295#4086295

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4086295