[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - IllegalStateException restarting app in tomcat

matt.drees do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 26 21:26:24 EDT 2007

When I reload my app, I sometimes get get an IllegalStateException, and I can duplicate this in the hibernate2 example.  After logging in and searching a little, a reload causes this:

  | Sep 26, 2007 9:15:37 PM org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession passivate
  | SEVERE: Session attribute event listener threw exception
  | java.lang.IllegalStateException: Attempted to invoke a Seam component outside the an initialized application
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.contexts.Lifecycle.getApplication(Lifecycle.java:36)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.contexts.Lifecycle.beginCall(Lifecycle.java:84)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invoke(RootInterceptor.java:113)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invokeAndHandle(RootInterceptor.java:84)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.intercept.JavaBeanInterceptor.callPrePassivate(JavaBeanInterceptor.java:135)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.intercept.JavaBeanInterceptor.invoke(JavaBeanInterceptor.java:77)
  | 	at org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.HotelSearchingAction_$$_javassist_2.sessionWillPassivate(HotelSearchingAction_$$_javassist_2.java)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.passivate(StandardSession.java:764)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.doUnload(StandardManager.java:515)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.unload(StandardManager.java:462)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.stop(StandardManager.java:666)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:4345)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.reload(StandardContext.java:2984)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.reload(ManagerServlet.java:906)
  | 	at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.reload(HTMLManagerServlet.java:473)

It looks like RootInterceptor tries to set up contexts if they don't exist, but at this point in the game, there is no Seam application available so it bombs.  Not sure if this is a tomcat-only problem or if it will happen on other appservers.

As an aside, org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.HotelSearchingAction is not serializable, which muddies the logs with stacktraces.

Thanks

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4089138#4089138

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4089138