[jboss-user] [JCA/JBoss] - Can I share connection pool among applications?

jowizzle do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Sep 27 12:25:42 EDT 2007

I have 5 different instances of the same web application (to provide the service to 5 different clients).  They all connect to the same oracle database, but they should each connect to a different schema. Currently I use a different datasource for each application, so my deployments look something like this:

app1.war, app1-ds.xml
app2.war, app2-ds.xml
app5.war, app5-ds.xml

I have a total of 550 allowable connections to oracle database, so I allow each to make up to 100 connections via the MaxSize attribute on the ManagedConnectionPool.

The problem is that app1 gets far more usage, and sometimes has surpasses that 100-connection limit, while the others rarely see more than 30 concurrent connections.  Can I set up a single shared pool that has 550 max connections that all 5 applications can draw from?

I know that I can supply credentials to getConnection(..), but that would require a code change to my application.  I read something very brief that I interpreted be a method for piggy-backing credentials from the app's login module.  Or perhaps it was a misinterpretation.

In any case, I appreciate your suggestions and advice.  Thanks!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4089398#4089398

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4089398