[jboss-user] [JBossWS] - Newbee Q: Returning hashmaps

soch do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Apr 28 18:55:40 EDT 2008

I am trying to take the simple echo example (http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=JBossWS_JAX-WS_Tools) to the next level and running into problem.

I want to return a hashmap instead of the string.

Instead of the client printing the hasmap contents it prints the address of the the hashmap.

I am using the new tools: wsconsume, wsprovide & wsrunclient.

Here's the code:

GetPM.java:
=========
package getpm;

  | import java.util.HashMap;
  |
  | @javax.jws.WebService
  | public class GetPM
  | {
  |
  | HashMap map = new HashMap();
  |
  | public HashMap getPM()
  | {
  | map.put("key1", "value1");
  | map.put("key2", "value2");
  | map.put("key3", "value3");
  | System.out.println("From Server:" + map.toString());
  | return map;
  | }
  | }
I am using the same web.xml as in the echo example -- is this were I am going wrong?

web.xml
=======
  | xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
  | xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
  | version="2.4">
  |
  | <servlet>
  | <servlet-name>GetPM</servlet-name>
  | <servlet-class>getpm.GetPM</servlet-class>
  | </servlet>
  |
  | <servlet-mapping>
  | <servlet-name>GetPM</servlet-name>
  | <url-pattern>/GetPM</url-pattern>
  | </servlet-mapping>
  | </web-app>

I created the getpm.war file & deployed it on the jboss AS.

Using wsconsume created the client files using the online version of service wsdl file: wsconsume -k http://localhost:8080/getpm/GetPM?wsdl

The client then calls the service using the following

GetPMclient.java:
=============
import getpm.*;

  | public class GetPMclient
  | {
  | public static void main(String args[])
  | {
  | GetPMService service = new GetPMService();
  | GetPM pm = service.getGetPMPort();
  | System.out.println("Server said: " + pm.getPM());
  |
  | //HashMap hm = (HashMap) pm.getPM();
  | //System.out.println(hm.toString());
  | }
  | }

On the server stdout I get the hashmap printed correctly, but on the client side instead of the hashmap I get the reference of the hashmap as below:

getpm.HashMap at 1a0b53e

instead of

{key1=value1, key2=value2, key3=value3}

C:\....\webservices\getpm\client\output>wsrunclient GetPMclient
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.jboss.ws.metadata.builder.jaxws.JAXWSWebServiceMetaDataBuilder).
Server said:
getpm.HashMap at 1a0b53e

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4147385#4147385

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4147385