[jboss-user] [Management, JMX/JBoss] - Re: Start & Stop JBoss instances from a browser

dward@redhat.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Aug 15 13:30:01 EDT 2008

JBoss 4 is based on a JMX microkernel architecture.  You can read more about it here:
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/JBossMX

In addition to csaldanh's response for web-console, here is a direct link into the jmx-console, where you will find the shutdown() method, among others:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/jmx-console/HtmlAdaptor?action=inspectMBean&name=jboss.system%3Atype%3DServer

If you want to have cli-level interaction with JBoss (rather than using a browser), you can use twiddle:
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Twiddle

Now, per your question "starting" JBoss from a browser.  Well, if JBoss is not running, obviously you can't connect to via a browser it to start itself.  ;)  HOWEVER, we do have a solutions for you, known as the JBoss Operations Network (aka "JON"):
http://www.jboss.com/products/jbosson

JON is an enterprise administration management & monitoring solutions from JBoss, and is a value add for our paying subscribers.  Unlike the jmx-console, with it's dynamic yet rudimentary interface into *one* AS instance, JON can manage multiple JBoss instances across your network.  It features a server-agent delegate model, so, back to your "start" question: The JON server can remotely ask an agent (small JVM that runs on a remote OS) to start up a JBoss instance on its behalf.

If you would like more info on JON, please contact our sales:
http://www.jboss.com/company/contact

Hope the above has been helpful.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4170836#4170836

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4170836