[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Should I Use Jboss JBPM for this

umerfar do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 19 00:56:25 EDT 2008

We are in R&D phase for a given project and we have to develop the underlying conceptual model. I am not sure whether this is appropriate section to put this question, i apologize in advance.

Scenario

There will be number of templates, each template may have number of activities and activities are assigned to a User, Role or a Group. Attachements (Questionnaires and Documents) can also be attached with any activities.

Any Client who comes for this system is handled as a Case (A new Use Case). This case will be assigned a particular template and then the process will be followed according to the activities assigned in template. This case is visible to the User, Role or a Group attached with Activities.

For example, a template may have an activity for "register user" and then "interview user" and then "request manager for approval" type of and all these activities are EDITBLE in the system by the admin i.e and admin can add "email verification" activity before "manager approval". At each activity there will be a pre-defined state of the system i.e: Started, Pending, Approved, Rejected.

I can put the conceptual diagram for the system on your request.

My first question is

Should or can we use Jboss jBPM for it? I am not able to decide it yet. Since the activities and the intercommunication between roles, activities and cases is giving me a green signal that its a workflow.

My second question is

I have read in the jboss-jpdl documentation, in section 3.4. Task assignment example

"Because of the separation between the jBPM
workflow engine and the organisational model, an expression language for calculating actors would always be too
limited"

So can't we assign task to the users or role graphically useing jpdl graphic designer and we have to write the custom code for that?? i am asking this because it is an important requirement for our applicaiton.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4171184#4171184

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4171184