[jboss-user] [JBossWS] - Handling timeouts in WebService client

rohit.macherla do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 20 09:55:04 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have JBoss 4.2.2.GA version installed on a HP Unix machine. We have a WebService, say A, that calls another WebService, say B. When A calls B it usually takes a lot of time, say 3-4 minutes to respond. I would like to know where to configure the timeout value for the WebService client A.

I have increased the Transaction timeout of the transaction-manager MBean to 400 ( I guess it is in seconds). Still we don't find any improvement and we get a transfer-timeout error.

  |   <!--
  |       | The fast in-memory transaction manager.
  |       | Deprecated in JBossAS v4.2. Use JBossTS JTA instead.
  |     - ->
  |    <mbean code="org.jboss.tm.TransactionManagerService"
  |       name="jboss:service=TransactionManager"
  |       xmbean-dd="resource:xmdesc/TransactionManagerService-xmbean.xml">
  |       <attribute name="TransactionTimeout">400</attribute>
  |       <!- - set to false to disable transaction demarcation over IIOP - ->
  |       <attribute name="GlobalIdsEnabled">true</attribute>
  |       <depends optional-attribute-name="XidFactory">jboss:service=XidFactory</depends>
  |
  |       <!- - Transaction Integrity Checking - ->
  |       <!- - Force a rollback if another thread is associated with the transaction at commit - ->
  |       <!- - <depends optional-attribute-name="TransactionIntegrityFactory"
  |                proxy-type="org.jboss.tm.integrity.TransactionIntegrityFactory">
  |          <mbean code="org.jboss.tm.integrity.FailIncompleteTransaction"
  |                 name="jboss:service=TransactionManager,plugin=TransactionIntegrity"/>
  |       </depends> - ->
  |    </mbean>
  |    -->
  |
  |    <!-- JBoss Transactions JTA -->
  |    <mbean code="com.arjuna.ats.jbossatx.jta.TransactionManagerService"
  |       name="jboss:service=TransactionManager">
  |       <attribute name="TransactionTimeout">400</attribute>
  |       <attribute name="ObjectStoreDir">${jboss.server.data.dir}/tx-object-store</attribute>
  |    </mbean>

Also, since we are developing the code in Java, we have found some of the following properties that are configured in our code :

  | timeout.TestTimeOut_Service service = new timeout.TestTimeOut_Service();
  |             timeout.TestTimeOut port = service.getTestTimeOutPort();
  |
  | ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().
  |                     put("com.sun.xml.ws.request.timeout", 4*60*1000);
  |
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     BindingProviderProperties.REQUEST_TIMEOUT,
  |                     4*60*1000);
  |
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     BindingProviderProperties.CONNECT_TIMEOUT,
  |                     4*60*1000);
  |
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     "com.ibm.SOAP.requestTimeout",
  |                     4*60*1000);
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     "org.jboss.webservice.timeout",
  |                     4*60*1000);
  |
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     "org.jboss.webservice.client.timeout",
  |                     4*60*1000);
  |             ((BindingProvider)port).getRequestContext().put(
  |                     "org.jboss.ws.timeout",
  |                     4*60*1000);

where, the "TestTimeOut_Service" is the WebService name and the 'port' object is the WebService Port for the "TestTimeOut_Service". We are using NetBeans for developing. And this code change does not help us in increasing the timeout because the WebService A throws a transfer timeout at about 120 seconds almost always.

Please suggest a proper place where we can set the client timeout when calling other

webservices.

Thanks.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4171508#4171508

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4171508