[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - Optimistic Locking: newbie question

georgebdavis do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 22 00:58:21 EST 2008

After years of rolling my own ORM, I am loving Hibernate, CMP / CMT, etc: thanks for doing everything for me!

My application consists mostly of MDBs which process chunks of work in parallel.  Since some chunks overlap, I fully expect many to fail with a StaleObjectState exception.  That's ok -- my transactions are structured so that they shuffle through pretty quickly anyway.  I have been leaning on message redelivery as a way of retrying transactions without writing any code.

In general things have worked fine, but I am left with some nagging doubts.

-- Is this an abuse of JMS?  Is there some proper way I'm supposed to flag a transaction for retry without managing my own transactions?

-- If it's not an abuse, is there any way for me to catch and convert to warnings these StaleObjectState exceptions?

-- Are resources like JDBC connections released smoothly in the case of this kind of rollback?

Thanks,

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4197897#4197897

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4197897