[jboss-user] [Performance Tuning] - Re: JBoss 4.05 memory issue

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Dec 22 13:07:42 EST 2008

anonymous wrote : and return some of the free memory to the OS

What makes you think this? Once the JVM requests memory from the OS for use in the heap, it never lets it go. Just because portions of the heap are empty does not mean the JVM will release that memory back to the OS.  If you do not want the JVM to eat away at the OS memory, set the max heap size lower. As a guess, based on what I see from the gc data you posted, I would try 600MB as a max heap size and see how that does.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4198067#4198067

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4198067