[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - FYI - JBoss on OpenSuSE 11.1

tsu2 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Dec 26 23:45:42 EST 2008

Just a FYI -
None of the documentation I could find applies closely to OpenSuSE or for that matter any Linux OS that uses the "update-alternatives" subsystem and Java packages from the OS repos (not the Sun website). These steps should generally apply to OpenSuSE 10.x also and from what I understand likely Mandriva (although I haven't verified).

Of course, all installation steps should be done with Root permissions.

:) Which Java?
On OpenSuSE 11.1 today, by default packages for Java 1.5 and the OpenJava (not Sun) version 1.6 are installed, but not the "developer" packages (which are equivalent to the Sun SDK packages). The OpenJava version appears to work (I've only deployed a default JBoss but haven't tried yet to develop against it), but the "devel" package needs to be installed using Yast(currently java-1_6_0-openjdk-devel).

You can doublecheck the installed packages using the following command, but it won't be easy to crosscheck all of the output

update-alternatives --display java

:) Downloading and Extracting
The JBoss file package I'm installing is the ZIP, additional steps are described in the documentation if you decide to compile from source.

Download and extract the files to a designated location. The documentation places the JBoss files under the /user/ directory, I prefer the /opt/. Probably there are many good options.

:) Configure the JBoss environmental variables.
The documentation does not describe a procedure that's appropriate for OpenSuSE where you should configure the profile, what now follows should enable a successful deployment

Although it's possible to modify the /etc/profile file itself, take heed the warning embedded in the file. Better is to instead create a new file /etc/profile.local and store your configuration in that file.

Create the /etc/profile.local file and add the following lines to the content of the file

export JBOSS_HOME=[full path to jboss root]
  | export PATH=$PATH:JBOSS_HOME/bin

In the above line, of course substitute and enter your full path to your JBoss files.

:) Start JBoss and Test
If you're in a hurry to test this configuration, execute the above 2 lines as well from a console, entering the commands into the profile.local file ensures that your JBOSS variables are initiated during machine bootup.

Start your JBoss application, from a console either browse to or execute

$JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.sh

Watch the output for any errors.
If you don't see any errors, then open a web browser to one or both of the following URLs for final testing

http://localhost:8080
http://localhost:8080/jmx-console

You should see actual webpages and not 404 errors.

Hope this speeds someone else along...

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4198608#4198608

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4198608