[jboss-user] [JBoss jBPM] - Re: Cannot build JBPM source from CVS

karltraunmueller do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sat Feb 2 16:26:22 EST 2008

Hi all,

when compiling jBpm CVS HEAD, I stumbled upon the same problem, "Missing required plug-in org.jbpm.gd.common_0.0.0", but managed to get the build run to completion with some "manual intervention".

Steps to reproduce (jbpm.3 is the local CVS module root folder):

  | *  Set up a copy of Eclipse SDK 3.3.1.1, unzip dtp-sdk_1.5.1, emf-sdo-xsd-SDK-2.3.1, GEF-SDK-3.3.1, wtp-sdk-R-2.0.1-20070926042742 (all from the local jBPM repo) into the eclipse dir, and switch to a clean workspace.
  | *  Import the projects under jbpm.3/designer (org.jbpm.gd.bpel, org.jbpm.gd.bpel.runtime, org.jbpm.gd.common, org.jbpm.gd.pf).
  | *  All projects should build, except org.jbpm.gd.bpel.runtime, which depends on org.eclipse.bpel, so I installed the BPEL plugins from http://download.eclipse.org/technology/bpel/update-site.
  | *  For some strange reason, org.jbpm.gd.bpel.runtime still does not compile, having troubles with "The import org.eclipse.bpel cannot be resolved", although the plugin is there, and I reloaded the target platform under Preferences / Plug-in Development / Target Platform, but still no luck. Can anyone help here?
  | *  Export org.jbpm.gd.common (File / Export / Deployable plug-ins and fragments) to jbpm.3\designer\jpdl\org.jbpm.gd.jpdl.build\target\workspace, deselect option "Package plug-ins as individual JAR archives".

By the way, I found that when checking out jBpm HEAD inside Eclipse, not all folders are checked out, so I used cvs command line client to check out the complete source.

What was missing from the build was jbpm.sar, which I built using the following steps:

  | *  Run jbpm.3\jpdl\jar>ant config.profile.datasource. Although this is marked as old stuff in the main build.xml, it seems to work.
  | *  Manually copy jbpm.3\jpdl\jar\target\profiles\jbpm.config.profile.datasource.jar to JBPM_REPO\jbpm\jpdl\3.2.2\lib\jbpm.config.profile.datasource.jar
  | *  Run the package target in jboss/sar: jbpm.3\jboss\sar>ant package

Testing jbpm.sar:

  | *  Copy jbpm.sar from jbpm.3\jboss\sar\target to jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\deploy
  | *  Copy jbpm-ds.xml from jbpm.3\jboss\configuration\4.2.2.GA\target\configuration\deploy to jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\deploy
  | *  Copy the application-policy name="jbpm" from jbpm.3\jboss\configuration\4.2.2.GA\target\configuration\conf\login-config.xml into jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\conf\login-config.xml
  | *  Copy jbpmDB.properties and jbpmDB.script from jbpm.3\jboss\configuration\4.2.2.GA\target\configuration\data\hypersonic to jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\data\hypersonic
  | *  Copy the JbpmCommandQueue and JbpmJobQueue mbean definitions from jbpm.3\jboss\configuration\4.2.2.GA\target\configuration\deploy\jms\jbossmq-destinations-service.xml to jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\deploy\jms\jbossmq-destinations-service.xml
  | *  Copy jbpm-console.war from jbpm.3\console\target\jbossas-4.2.x to jboss-4.2.2.GA\server\default\deploy
  | *  Start jboss-4.2.2.GA
  | *  jbpm-console should be functional
  | *  JNDIView should show the JbpmService MBean under jboss.jbpm:name=DefaultJbpm,service=JbpmService

And, seriously folks, what about migrating the build process to maven 2? With the current build system, several targets get re-run over and over again during a build, hinting at broken dependency checking of build artifacts, and resulting in unneccessary long build times. As far as I can see, JBoss is gradually moving all project builds to maven, so this might be worth considering (I know, the current build system has certainly taken lots of time and energy, but maven does this, well, even better).

regards,
Karl

Karl Traunmueller

Objectbay Software & Consulting GmbH