[jboss-user] [Beginners Corner] OutOfMemoryError on JBoss Portal, when run in 64-bit JVM

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Feb 14 14:32:46 EST 2008

Hi Chris.

Try 'doubling' the values I gave you.  I am not running JBoss Portal myself.  If
there was a memory constraint, I am surprised it was not listed.  To solve an
issue like this, you need to do Minimum as well as Max.  The JVMs do not always
handle allocating new memory for new objects as well as they should.  They have
been known to OOM even when they have not used all maximum, as they only
allocated minimum amounts.

Also, from the command line, try running 'java -X' to figure out what you have
in way of GC.  Might want to try Incremental and/or Concurrent, if available.

steve at gorky:~> export JAVA_OPTS="-Dprogram.name=$PROGNAME $JAVA_OPTS" -Xmx2048m
bash: export: `-Xmx2048m': not a valid identifier
???
Are you sure you have your JAVA_OPTS actually reset/changed?  I would echo your
JAVA_OPTS (or check the JBoss startup right at the start) to see what they
currently are.

Also, interesting thet the Portal seems to be doing all sorts of Warns and
Errors on startup.  You might want to check out the Portal Forum, and see if
there is anything on this topic there.

Regards,
Steve