[jboss-user] [Tomcat, HTTPD, Servlets & JSP] - Re: Using existing Tomcat with JBoss AS?

murthy64 do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Feb 17 20:35:03 EST 2008

I tried these:

a) renamed jbossweb-tomcat55.sar to jbossweb-tomcat55.sar.old
b) copied the Tomcat5.5.26 folder to JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy

The deployment has failed. Looks like JBOSS uses some special code
to integrate the Tomcat.

The reason I want the latest Tomcat under Jboss is the nice clustering feature of the Tomcat 5.5.26 that gracefully fails-over to another instance of Tomcat running on the same server. This way I can have multiple instances of Jboss+Tomcat on the same machine and make the fault tolerance robust.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

BTW, I read the clustering manual of Jboss and it is different from Tomcat's clustering. To illustrate:

a) let's say Tomcat1 is configured to listen on port 8080 with a helloworld.war deployed
b) Tomcat2 is configured to listent on port 8090 with the same helloworld.war deployed
c) now shut off tomcat1 and see tomcat2 display the very exact page

I have tried the Tomcat "clustering" and it works superbly. What I want to know is how can I make Jboss do the same? That is, if I run multiple instances of Jboss+Tomcat on the same physical machine, how can I fail-over when one of the instances of Jboss+Tomcat goes down?

In the Jboss manual they talked about load-balancing. I do this with Apache and mod-jk because the Jboss model is way too complicated. Can anyone point to a reference on how to go about doing this?

Thanks
Murthy

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4129999#4129999

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4129999