[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Re: Plans for distributing an RPM

rhehammond do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 18 10:29:02 EST 2008

Thank you for the response.  The reason I'm asking is I am responsible for just under 100 servers: some of which run Apache and Apache Tomcat.  We are considering moving to JBoss AS from Apache Tomcat; therefore, I need a slick way to roll out JBoss.  Installing JBoss manually on several servers is not ideal (human error factor); hence, I'd like a source RPM which I can grab, manipulate and test, prior to deployement in a production environment.

I maybe misunderstanding, but an RPM is capable of stipulating dependacies down to version number; hence, you could roll up JBoss in a RPM and stipulate that JDK 1.4 is required.  Users such as myself would then take the source RPM, add dependant libraries and package it up, ready for deployment in our specific software repository (controlled by YUM).

Unfortunatley, for me we enforce a 'No RPM, no install' policy; therefore I'll have to roll it up myself.  Can anyone give me any pointers before I start?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4130140#4130140

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4130140