[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Spring MVC Portlet framework for Development

swisst do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Feb 19 10:44:31 EST 2008

I guess I am confused by this statement:

anonymous wrote : I tried the Spring MVC Porlet framework example but not able to understand whether we can have Servlet as the base request handler on top of which I can place the MVC portlet framework?

Let's take a step back...you say you are new to Spring, have you used Struts before?  If so, think of them as analogous in the Servlet (typical web app) world.  **Calm down Spring guru's, I know there is a lot more to Spring, we are just talking MVC.

Now, move into the Portlet world...there is no DispatcherServlet, however, there is a DispatcherPortlet that will delegate all of the requests to the proper Controllers (think Struts Actions).  The Spring portlet framework class structure mirrors that of it's Servlet cousin, but the starting point is not a Servlet, rather it is a Portlet.

There are countless books on the Spring Framework (I like the "..In Action" series myself).  Pick up one of these books, and it will help you to learn Spring for the Servlet world.  Just remember that most tutorials for the Servlet world will transfer to the Portlet world, thanks to the mirrored class structure.

Does that help?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4130442#4130442

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4130442