[jboss-user] [JBoss Portal] - Re: Errors while running WSRP behind firewall in 2.6.3

kahotep do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Feb 19 11:19:00 EST 2008

Hey Swisst,

The costs I speak of are not only the licensing ones, but also the installation and support costs, which include "time to install."

For evaluation purposes, I did an install on a copy we have at the office here.

To install WebSphere Portal 6.0, I had to use a set of 11 CDs, then I had to download a "fix pack" which was about 500mb.  I thought I was done, and it would work for my purposes, but wrong I was, and I had to install another fix pack in order to get EJB 3 going.

Not only this, but the whole WebSphere package is bloated and slow; it requires far more hardware infrastructure than JBoss as well.

With JBoss Portal, I had the whole package downloaded and installed in 20 minutes.  Although I wasn't familiar with it, or with portal programming in general, I was able to configure it to work with our database very easily.

Another issue that should be considered is the cost of support.  I have seen consultants with experience in WebSphere paid almost $200/hr in my area.  This quickly escalates into the tens of thousands I spoke of.  Going to IBM for help is not going to be cheap either; one of our consultants noted that IBM routinely bills $700/hr for consultants,  then hires someone for 50-60 hr to get the job done, pocketing the difference.

I like JBoss Portal because it is light-weight, simple and open-source.  In contrast, IBM's WebSphere Portal requires far more hardware, has proprietary source code, and takes much longer to install and configure.

IBM "built" their portal mostly from acquisitions, so basically it is a hodge podge of different pieces from various acquisitions.  Thats not really very innovative imo.

I don't like the way they fool companies into forking over millions of dollars for their products, and I especially dislike the half-assed work I've seen them do on pieces that were sub-contracted off of contracts I've worked on.

Anyhow, thats just my two cents on the matter.

"swisst" wrote : Well to be fair in your comparison, you should get your licensing costs for WebSphere Portal straight.  This is a good place to start for the low end:

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4130460#4130460

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4130460