[jboss-user] [Datasource Configuration] - Massive used of Jboss

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Feb 21 09:59:21 EST 2008

Artec wrote:
> Hi,
> i want to know which are the most important parameter to modify (for example the number of threads) from the default configuration, in a large scale architecture (more than 1000 users).
> Thanks

Hi Artec.

Some items I would start with;
1) Make sure enough DB connections in the JBoss Container for the number of
worker threads that the JBoss & the WebServer are using.  In other words, if
setting minimum & maximum on the WebServer, your min. & max db connections
should be the relative to the WebServer's.  And by relative, I mean approx. what
percentage of Web hits == DB Hits.
2) Database side - make sure that its Connection parameters are set to handle
the maximum number of connections from all JBoss instances.
3) Check out Jetty (http://mortbay.org) for your Servlet & JSP container.  Its FAST!
4) Higher number of threads DOES NOT NECESSARILY EQUAL better throughput.  That
is also a function of number of CPU's.  Look at setting worker threads (but
that's another topic).

Grinder tends to make a decent tool for finding performance bottlenecks.
http://grinder.sourceforge.net/

TEST TEST TEST TEST!

Regards,
Steve