[jboss-user] [JBossCache] - Re: tx completion STATUS_UNKNOWN

youngm do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Feb 25 11:07:18 EST 2008

Guy Pardon of Atomikos justifies his use of "UNKNOWN" saying:

anonymous wrote :
  | I think the status cannot be determined for the following reason. Imagine transaction A started in a remote VM and imported in the local VM subsequently. Also, suppose the local VM only does READ_ONLY work.
  |
  | Then, image two-phase commit:
  |
  | case 1:
  | -transaction A prepares
  | -the local VM returns READ_ONLY for all its work
  | -transaction A commits
  |
  | case 2:
  | -transaction A prepares
  | -the local VM returns READ_ONLY
  | -transaction A rolls back
  |
  | Both cases are indistinguishable by the semantics of the READ_ONLY on prepare: no further outcome is desired.
  |
  | IMHO, therefore the only state that makes sense is UNKNOWN. It would be a mistake to say COMMITTED, and likewise for ROLLEDBACK.
  |
  | Guy

Guy has later said that perhaps he could use "NO TRANSACTION" in such a situation as well, however, it appears the JBossCache 1.4.x code will behave the same for NO_TRANSACTION as it does for "UNKNOWN".

Thoughts?  Here is the thread on the Atomikos forum.

http://www.atomikos-support.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1314

Mike

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4131917#4131917

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4131917