[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Clustered environment with non persistent messages ?

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Jan 28 07:19:53 EST 2008

The point with non persistent messages, is they are not persisted, ==> they do not survive failure.

Users use non persistent messages when they want higher performance but they can cope with message loss.

If we had to persist non persistent messages too, that would kind of defeat the purpose for their existence! :)

E.g. a stock ticker application would probably use non persistent messages, since market data goes out of date very quickly (sub second) and later messages can supercede earlier messages so you don't care if you lose messages.

If we didn't have non persistent messages and only had persistent messages then we would be losing performance for applications that don't need the reliability

It would be silly if we persisted non persistent messages too - since they wouldn't be non persistent any more.

The JMS spec is quite clear on this.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4124026#4124026

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4124026