[jboss-user] [Persistence, JBoss/CMP, Hibernate, Database] - Circular references and Hibernate annotations

mbabauer do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 10 15:26:37 EDT 2008

I am looking into creating a class in such a way that it can hold references to itself and a parent.  In other words, I am looking to make a bi-directional tree of these classes.

The class would like something like this:
@Entity
  | @Table(name="sample")
  | public class Sample {
  |   private String id;
  |   private Sample parent;
  |   private Set<Sample> children;
  |
  |   @Id
  |   @Column(name="id");
  |   public String getId(){ return id; }
  |   public void setId(String id) { this.id=id; }
  |
  |   /** This is where I am confussed....  **/
  | }

The proposed table for the above would be:
varchar(256) id
  | varchar(256) parentId

I have made plenty of classes that reference one-to-many one way, and many-to-one the other, but this is the first time I have tried to make these connections within the same class.  I guess I am just getting confused how to setup the JoinColumn name and the mappedBy in the annotations to work off a single table column within a single table.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4163697#4163697

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4163697