[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: Problems with the Visual Page Editor with Tools 2.1.0 GA

jimball do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 23 10:39:42 EDT 2008

Right, I couldn't find what I needed in terms of RHDS or JBDS update instructions to go up to 2.1.2 GA of the JBoss Tools.  Probably because RedHat have a different test release cycle, and who is responsible for getting the tools into RHDS is in a different part of the organisation, and its not ready yet.

No worries, I understand this, and at some point RHDS or JBDS will be updated.  I'll just avoid using it till I do know the upgrade path.

Anyway, to confirm the fix for vanilla Europa:  I used the winter release of Eclipse Europa as my start, added checkstyle, and then put the new 2.1.2 GA release of JBoss Tools.

On opening a standard JSP page now in the Visual Page Editor (VPE) the panel displays a JSP as they should be displayed (nice job by the way) bar one thing.

There is only one minor difference from previous versions, now the placeholders for iconography (images, whatever) that use an "img" tag are zero width on the preview panel, which is different from the original, and makes it difficult to visually review your page or page fragment of its full content and layout.

Whatever, its not a major bug.  But if you want to make the VPE properly user friendly, I'd use a notional width on the preview panel for iconography applying the "img" tag, so developers can see the notional "layout" including imagery both in the vertical and the horizontal.

Thanks to you all for fixing the JSP display problem, I'll live with the chocolate teapot JBDS (just not bother using it),  and the zero width img placeholders, by cross-referencing with Firefox.

Most appreciated.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4166171#4166171

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4166171