[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Re: JBoss OutOfMemoryError - Help needed regarding Heap Size

PeterJ do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 24 11:50:39 EDT 2008

The maximum heap you allocate depends on the operating system, even the patches to the operating system, the amount of RAM and swap space available, and the other DLLs that are loaded into the JVMs address space.

For example, on a machine with 1GB RAM and 1GB swap space, you probably will not have enough free memory available to allocate 1.5GB.

Another example: I recall that a certain software  registered a lot of performance statistics, so when I ran the JVM I saw a lot of that software's DLLs in the JVM address space. One way you can check what DLLs are loaded with your JVM is with the listdlls or Process Explorer tools from SysInternals. Look at where the DLLs are loaded into memory - the JVM always allocates the heap in one contiguous block so you can only allocate as much heap as the largest free memory block.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4166473#4166473

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4166473