[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: Bug Highlights in JBoss Tools 2.1.1.GA

max.andersen@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jun 11 06:19:46 EDT 2008

I created http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-2324 for you.

anonymous wrote :
  | On multiple deployments:
  |
  | This seems to be a problem in the way the Servers view works - the view reports that an EAR file is deployed twice, though it actually isn't.
  |
  | I have uploaded the following screen grab:
  |
  | http://www.classcalendar.biz/tech/servers.png
  |
  | Which shows the incorrect report.

I created http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-2325 for this and as you will see in the jira I think this might acutally currently be expected behavior when you have both clicked Deploy to server on the generated .ear file and deployed the archive directly.

This could be done better - I agree.

If you did not do the double publish as described then please follow up in the jira with how you that view to show that.

I created http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-2326 for that.

anonymous wrote :
  | Come on guys, didn't you test this?!

Well, apparently not well enough. As you can see in the jira I actually could not reproduce this at first and had to try a couple of different thigns before it happend. That is not an excuse, but just to show that it actually works for some scenarioes.

btw. for future reference looking in the Error Log and attaching any exceptions that might occur would provide us with alot more information which we can use to fix the bugs.

E.g. for the corrupted archives I would assume the error log would have some info. If you dont want to wander through it manually you can use Help > Report a problem which will generate a diagnositc log which contains the error log which would be great to attach to the related jira.

anonymous wrote :
  | * Refresh of archives in Package explorer view - Attempting to export a newly-updated archive frequently results in an error message, because Eclipse was not refreshed following the archive update.  Doing a manual refresh fixes this (until the next update).  This problem did exist in 2.10.1.GA.  I'm not certain about it now.  Is this a JBoss Tools bug, or is something fundamentally non-transactional in the Eclipse APIs?

Depends on the error message/stack trace ?

anonymous wrote :
  | On installation problems - I'm not an Eclipse plug-in developer, but this looks seriously screwed.  The software update left all the old plug-in and feature elements still sitting there.  This is surely likely to lead to odd behaviour.

2 scenarios here:

1) You install/update JBossTools 2.1.0.GA into a clean eclipse (no previous jboss tools linstall)

2) You install/update JBoss Tools 2.1.0.GA into an eclipse that had JBoss Tools 2.0.0.GA before.

In case #1 then *no* trace of previous JBoss Tools installations should be found. Only JBoss Tools 2.1.0.GA releated plugins should be in there.

In case #2 then both 2.1.0.GA and 2.0.0.GA plugins will be inside eclipse which when it restarts will take the latest ones. This is how eclipse update manager work! Nothing specific about JbossTools here.

Are you saying you did case #1 or case #2 ?
If case #1 we have an issue, case #2 is expected Eclipse behavior.

anonymous wrote :
  | With regret, I'm not going to log any of these on Jira, at least not at this stage.  There are simply too many bugs to make a sufficiently reliable report.  If you can deliver something more stable, I'll do what I can then.

Sorry to hear that - without bug reports we can't really know about them to fix them. Please realize that JBoss Tools has a *huge* set of functionallity and we do our best to QA them before realesing but sometimes bugs do go undiscovered until some user bumps into the specific scenario.

That said we know Project Archives had a couple of bad NPE bugs which definitly should have been found before the release - and im sorry about that. We have done a 2.1.1.GA release to fix the worst of these and are now working on 2.1.2.GA to get the last bad ones fixed and released.

Bugs in forums tend to get lost, hence why I always ask users to report issues in jira so we get their additional angle on the bug. In this case you did not want to so I did it for you since I found your issues to be important to get fixed/looked into. I hope in the future you will report in jira ;)

Thanks for your help so far - I hope you will hang around and beat us up when we as humans fail again and bug shows up in your neighborhood.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4157284#4157284

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4157284