[jboss-user] [Installation, Configuration & DEPLOYMENT] - Apache-ModJK-JBoss Firewall rule sets

Ponvinayagan do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Mar 18 12:28:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

We have our JBoss server behind firewall and from Apache server through the ModJK configuration and Port no 8009 accessing the web application deployed in JBoss.

I am trying to list the Port numbers need to be opened from Firewall for Apache to JBoss communication and I know well that we need to add the port 8009 on the list.

Are there any other ports need to be opened in Firewall for this  communication and for reverse (Jboss to Apache) as well ?

When I used the TCPView to check the port number being connected from Apache machine to Jboss machine and vice. versa. I observed that httpd.exe estiblishes 2/3 TCP connections on radom port numbers and on the JBos side for the same 2/3 TCP connections on the same (radom) port are established.

example

On Apache machine TCP View
===================
httpd.exe:1172	TCP	ApacheMachine:2709	JBossMachine:8009	ESTABLISHED
httpd.exe:1172	TCP	ApacheMachine:2711	JBossMachine:8009	ESTABLISHED
httpd.exe:1172	TCP	ApacheMachine:2713	JBossMachine:8009	ESTABLISHED

On JBoss Machine TCP View
==================
JBoss_4_3.exe:2208	TCP	JBossMachine:8009	ApacheMachine:2709	ESTABLISHED
JBoss_4_3.exe:2208	TCP	JBossMachine:8009	ApacheMachine:2711	ESTABLISHED
JBoss_4_3.exe:2208	TCP	JBossMachine:8009	ApacheMachine:2713	ESTABLISHED

Could some one please explain me what are these port numbers?

Are there any list of these port number or any range?

Do I need to open these Port numbers in the Firewall?

Please advice and help me.

Regards
Vinay

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4137508#4137508