[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools (users)] - Re: JBoss Tools AS 1.0.0.GA update for JBoss 5 AS ?

dlmiles do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Mar 28 09:24:52 EDT 2008

"max.andersen at jboss.com" wrote : Dlmiles you are more than welcome to point me to how I could fix the versioning issue....without messing up plugin and feature manifest/descriptors ;)

  | GA in the version string is how we have always done it.
  |
  | btw. your other error is probably caused by other weird mixing of nightly builds ...I recommend you use a clean eclipse install and use link files to make sure you only point to a consistent set of plugins.
  |
  | If the problem still persist then ping us again.

I remember now there was a problem with Hibernate's Eclipse plugin at one point in the past.

Well first you have to choose if a user can be expected to do what I tried.  That is use the entire GA suite but also install the nightly for just the AS.  You may consider this to be unsupported and incorrect use, as each release stream might be considered a different domain to each other (nightly, beta, GA).

I didn't want to install the entire nightly suite as I didn't want to introduce known bugs.

If you decide that it should be possible to do what I tried (all be it, the user really is on their own, just like they are on their own when they install any or all nightly builds anyway).  There is no major problem with the descriptors this time as many of the version constraint simply are not used and those that are seem to be setting the lower bound only.  You'll hear no gripes from this direction on that policy it sounds good to me.

The issue is simply with the release naming strategy of the GA builds.  The letter "G" comes after the number "2".  The version comparison is pretty well set in stone for how the eclipse platform works.  So if you want it to work then my best/easiest offer is to start using "1.0.0.YYYYMMDDHHMM-GA"  format for GA releases, and "1.0.0.YYYYMMDDHHMM-Beta99" for Beta releases, etc..  you can do what the hell you like after the date part.

Bear in mind that you will need to go to version "1.0.1.YYYYMMDDHHMM-GA" for the next GA (i.e. at least a patch level bump) from that point on you should find nightly components will at least mix/run with GA components.

I agree with the issue on the other error being due to not using the rest of the nightly build, I did not download and take apart the nightly build to see why it did not gel.  Also why does Content Assist require access to IJBossRuntime (when I've not runtimes setup) and also why does Type Hierachy fail to work at all when IJBossRuntime class is apparently missing!  So what!

< rant > Gee it would be really good when you booted eclipse and it detected a change in plugins if it diagnosed problems an tell you which things were new and which things have become disconnected/disabled < / rant >

I look forward to the next GA release so that JBoss 5 can be used.  I'm sure when the AS is finally released that rolling a new release of JBossTool-AS will get done.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4139666#4139666

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4139666