[jboss-user] [JBoss Messaging] - Re: Comparison to ActiveMQ

mkelley do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Nov 4 12:17:24 EST 2008

There are a few ActiveMQ features my company is using that I'm wondering about support for in JBM.

- Virtual destinations. See http://activemq.apache.org/virtual-destinations.html. Messages sent to single destination are copied, filtered, and routed to multiple destinations.
- Composite destinations. See http://activemq.apache.org/composite-destinations.html. A comma-separated list of destination names are treated like a single destination.
- Destinations created on demand. See http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-create-new-destinations.html. Similar to temporary queues, we have permanent queues that are created on the fly for communication with a remote process. When the process dies, queues are deleted. Unlike temporary queues, messages outlive a JMS session.

Are these among the 'host of other features'?  If no, do you have any code/configuration snippets or hints for approximating them (esp. virtual/composite destinations via bridges)?

FWIW the existence of these features in ActiveMQ made it an attractive choice and helped us go pretty far in application development by enabling us to change message routing rules extremely quickly.  Now that we know much more about what we want from a messaging system we'd happily trade some features for better scalability, stability, and documentation/support.  Knowing more details beyond "a host of other features" would be great start.

Mike

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4186768#4186768

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4186768